Sunday, January 11, 2009

Underestimating 'Socials'

I often wonder why more people in AmSpirit Business Connections do not attend 'Socials'. Whether they're in their own chapter or even other area wide socials that chapters promote across the organization.

One chapter last year had very poor attendance at their monthly socials. Several members came up with the solution to the problem. Stop having them. What??

Rather than correct the behavior of 'bad networking behavior' stop having them? For the last 15-20 years it has been said that the chapters that 'play together, stay together'. I just attended my chapter's social this past Friday evening and I couldn't believe how pumped up I was afterward. Not only was it a lot of fun, but I got energized seeing others in our chapter bond at a deeper level. It all feeds into the "know, like, and trust" concept that leads to more referrals for everyone in the group.

The culture in my own chapter, or at least my guiding statement that I've shared is this:

We will create a chapter of members where each member will not hesitate for 2 seconds to provide a referral to their best clients with any member of the chapter. If we all feel the same way about each other and have the utmost confidence in each other's professionalism, we can not lose!

Every opportunity you get to socialize with your chapter, seize upon it! Until you make it a habit, you may not even know what you're missing.

No comments: