Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lessons Learned from John Miller

There's a wonderful book written several years ago entitled 'QBQ: The Question Behind the Question', by John Miller (http://www.qbq.com). In the book John writes of an experience he had while visiting a restaurant. He placed an order for a diet Coke only to find out that they only served Pepsi products. He changed his order to water with lemon and thought nothing of it.

Minutes later his meal arrived along with a diet Coke. To make a long story short, the server had his manager go around the corner to a local store and bought a bottle of diet Coke. The lesson is one of going the extra mile to provide service.

Every week I meet with my AmSpirit Business Connections Chapter at GameWorks at Easton. This past week we had near full attendance plus 9 guests attending. GameWorks staffers were doing the best they could to bring in extra chairs and tables. Our regular server was off for the day, so the new server had his hands full to say the least.

We took a short break before our featured speaker. I left the room to go to the ATM across the hall (needed money for our weekly raffle). As I briskly walked back into the restaurant to re-enter the meeting, two elderly ladies motioned me over to their table. "Could we please have some menus", they asked. I guess because I was wearing a name badge and walking briskly I looked like one of the managers. I responded that I did not work there, and started to walk away. It's at that moment that the QBQ lesson hit me.

I saw a stack of menus sitting next to one of the registers and grabbed a couple and delivered them back to the two ladies. The expression on their faces was priceless! "I thought you didn't work here", one of them said. "I don't, but I knew where the menus were. Your server will be right with you", I replied. I smiled and walked back to my chapter meeting.

How many of us go out of our way to be servants for others? What I did was very little effort on my part. But I bet the two ladies will remember it for some time.

Making an extra phone call, connecting people who can help each other, doing the little things to make a difference for others. I was about to write 'that's what makes a successful networker'. It's not, though. That's what makes a successful life!

No comments: